Friday, March 14, 2008

They Might Be Giants Podcast

For the young and young at heart!

The babe and I were searching for some tunes in our music library today. The slow, lullaby jams are our daily. (Btw, I highly recommend Azure Ray, Pinback, The Album Leaf, Early Day Miners and Sigur Ros. It really isn’t necessary to listen to Mozart unless you crave it. I think variety expands their noggins anyway.) Anyhow. this was the first occasion where I was looking for something danceable. Until now, it was never a good idea to add any spice to my infant’s day. She arrived saucy! But tummy time and mobile chasing lost their charm without yawns. Today, the babe was ready for more.

Where would you go first? They Might Be Giants just seemed the obvious choice. They’re fun, they’re frisky, they’ve actually covered educational songs. The babe worked it out to "The Statue Got Me High". It made her so happy that I thought I might look around and see if they have done anything new. Not that they had to but, they have made CDs and DVDs specifically for kids. They also have a podcast which includes a special Friday night edition just for children and families. Puppet involvement makes it irresistible! 

You can clicky at itunes for freebies and they’re website takes you to all the fun places where their stuff is.
 
http://theymightbegiants.com/ 

Our generation is doing things their own way, especially with music. I kinda like that TMBG bridges the gap between puerile infant junk and things with more sophistication. I’m not quite ready to expose my PYT to certain themes. For example, I used to love singing her to sleep with "My Mother was a Chinese Trapeze Artist" until it occurred to me that one day soon she might ask: "Mommy, what’s a brothel?’ or even worse: "Grammy, what’s a prostitute?". I realized that I wanted her innocence intact. She’ll have to be at least 3 before she hears that again. :)

2 comments:

ALL242 said...

Wow, Jeremy, Daniel, Jon, you, and I used to get down to that! It's so cool when you get your kids into your music. Eli's all about Green Day, The Hives, Interpol, Weezer, AFI, My Chemical Romance, etc...... I love it. I'm so proud of you!!!

ALL242 said...

You might also look into Explosions in the Sky, Yeasayer, Peter, Bjorn and John, Panda Bear, Caribou, Ambulance LTD. And, when she gets older----Pixies, of course.