Thursday, May 29, 2008

Minor Setback, Major Disappointment

In a not-so-surprising turn of events, I have resigned from the spa where I've been working.  

I was accepted on a part time basis and then, once I started, demands for me to be full time were constant. I struggled against it the whole time. Eventually, the store manager practically begged me to resign so that she could hire a full-timer. You can't fire someone for being a mother but you evidently can encourage her to quit. I could have stayed. Frankly, the positives just didn't outnumber the negatives. 

I find myself a bit overwhelmed now by all the possibilities and very anxious about our immediate need for money. This has become a quest for balance. How do motherhood and professional fulfillment coexist? Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. Still...

Mad props to moms. Navigating your life is never easy but once you have another person to think about it seems impossible sometimes. I am paralyzed by the myriad of possibilities. Day care, school, job. A. mentioned he would relocate which brings on a whole new set of doubts and fears. His job is our only stability. But, wouldn't it be nice to feel the California sun again...

Holistic health has always been an interest of mine. Unfortunately, I am taking a step back from esthetics. I am afraid the mother birdie of this industry that took me under her wing just pushed me out of the nest. Ouch. 

No comments: