Friday, April 4, 2008

NKOTB reunion

For the first time in months, I favored the Today show over Noggin where it was announced this morning that New Kids on the Block are reuniting.  They all still look cute.  I don't know if my mom-vision has prejudiced my eyes.  I recently realized that my leading-man crushes have crept up the time line.  I find George Clooney wicked sexy where I was once like '...skip the old guy and show me Matt Damon!'  I never noticed how dreamy a well-worked tuxedo could be.

I hate reunion shows.   The main deterrent isn't the hell I would get from my friends or the fact that I would probably have to go alone. I don't want to look around me and see myself in the wistful, reminiscing eyes of the other women my age nor do I want to see the people who might show up seeking some irony or kitsch in something I used to love. I once worked with a girl who was 7 or 8 years younger than me.  She would wear an old New Kids t-shirt that she probably found at a thrift store.  It was the same shirt I used to have in high school.  Suffice to say, I didn't find it clever.   

[Side Note: When exactly did the t-shirt trend switch from ironic wit to elitist disdain? I remember when people would only wear band t-shirts to support a group they liked.] 

Perhaps, my memories are too dear to challenge with a revival.  

My very first concert was the New Kids (No More Games). The fever hit me late. When Hangin' Tough dropped, I was a huge metalhead. My sister and I would make fun of the girls who liked New Kids.  But then, I don't know what happened...it was my sophomore year at a new school...my best friend was dying her hair magenta and trying to turn me on to The Cure...and I was taping NKOTB on Oprah.  My friends thought I had microwaved my brain.  

I have enduring love for the unabashed predictability and the cotton candy harmonies of the boy band. The incomparable Jackson 5 was a boy band.  New Edition was a boy band.  The Maurice Starr oeuvre of new editions and kids was followed by the managerial touch of the even sleazier Lou Pearlman.  Funnier even than this quote,  "I got involved with Chippendales before Backstreet and it's Chippendales and New Kids on the Block that gave me the idea to pursue Backstreet.", is the fact that he created a band and then created their own competition! (Backstreet Boy and then N'Sync).  God, there is a lifetime of scandal, innuendo and synchronized dance moves in the boy band niche!   It's yummier than a waxed pec! 

Blockheads may be the new Fanilows... ( http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/04/03/dear-new-kids-on-the-block-fans-aka-blockheads/ ) ...we shall see if Vegas has a permanent stage for them to hurl their panties.  Until then, and unless Tiffany is opening for them again, my memories of the New Kids are good enough for me.  Probably.

No comments: